Laura

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bronchitis & Teeth

TREVOR UPDATE:
The day after Trevor turned six months old, we had to take him to the doctor with a 104 degree fever. YIKES! I never knew how nervous I could actually become. The doctor sent us to the hospital to take care of things. There, they tested him for RSV and his fever eventually came down. Things ended up not being quite as serious as they were preparing for. Trevor was able to come home with us that same day, and he tested negative for RSV. However, he did have bronchitis, and we were sent home with antibiotics and a breathing machine that we were supposed to use with him at home every four hours. He has been on this medication for nine days now, and he is doing much better.
In addition, Trevor had 2 teeth pop through his gums yesterday! He is getting his front two bottom teeth in. You can barely see them, but if he gets hold of your finger, you can definately feel them!

SCHOOL UPDATE:
In Reading, I am teaching the students how to draw inferences and how to use the plot structure to analyze various aspects of a narrative. I am also reading aloud a story called, "Mrs. Jeepers Scariest Halloween Ever," which they love!

In Language Arts, the students are learning that there is a difference between revising and proofreading. And...more importantly, they are learning that it is always possible to make one's writing better! They struggled with this idea at first. Several of them were scared to use a pen and mark up their precious story, but I successfully crushed their hope that their story was perfect "as is."

In Math, we are learning how to read, write, and represent "BIG" numbers, as I like to call them. Such as: Two hundred thirty-five million, eight hundred ninty-seven thousand, fifty-one (235,897,051). This is no easy task for a fourth grader! However, it is in the standards for them to learn it.

In Social Studies we are finishing up learning about the Prehistoric Native Americans, and we'll be moving on to the Historic Native Americans soon. I think the difference is that the "prehistoric" was before written records were kept, and the historic was after. I'll have to ask Bob for sure before I teach this next week.

In Science, we have just learned about plant structures, how a plant grows, and how new seeds are formed. Yes, even some fourth grade students laughed when I had to read in the textbook that a "male sex cell and a female sex cell of a plant join together in the process of fertilization." Our textbook said the word 'sex' at least 7 times, and I made sure that I read all of those paragraphs to avoid mortification among my students. However, some of them seemed to be oblivious, which I was glad to see.

In addition, I have one student that still cries for just about anything. Today, he was not doing anything, and he was supposed to be filling out his assignment notebook. I said very nicely, "Okay, you need to fill out your assignment notebook now." He said, "I know," very angrily, but did nothing. I waited a minute. He still did nothing. I went back over to him, and repeated my first comment. He repeated, "I know," very angrily and began to sob! I ignored him after that.

Now you may call me mean for ignoring him, but this is a daily (sometimes hourly) occurence. I was told that he was no better last year. The guidance counselor is going to talk to him, so we'll hope that helps.

Finally, I also have a student that is going to make a great lip singer, because that is all she wants to do. Imagine a tiny fourth grade girl with a moving mouth and a Taylor Hicks expression. That is her. No sound, just movement and intense emotional looks. I haven't told her to stop yet, because I am trying to figure out what she is singing.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM , Blogger Maria said...

    it is interesting to read what you are teaching, it brings me back to fourth grade! And the story about the lip singing girl made me laugh. I love kids (sometimes). A "Native American" came to speak in my human diversity class last week and said they prefer to be called "indians", please don't call us native americans. Interesting huh? In school they always teach you that "native american" is the correct term.

    Also sorry to hear about Trevor, but glad he is doing better. How many health problems is this poor baby going to have??

     
  • At 7:46 PM , Blogger Abby said...

    I also really like your stories, they must keep you entertained. Also, I somehow forget the variety of subjects elementary teachers must have a grasp on. I am impressed you are teaching everything from sex organs of plants to native americans or indians, whichever you prefer.

    You didn't mention your sickness, are you feeling better?

     
  • At 6:32 PM , Blogger abby said...

    Your teaching sounds really interesting. I bet that would be fun to learn new things everyday like that. Good luck with that kid. Do you still want to be that guidance counselor someday??

    I hope trevor feels better. I wish I could fix him personally.

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Blogger abby said...

    how are those internet course going??

     
  • At 11:38 PM , Blogger Rebekah said...

    I'm trying to laugh silently, kids are hilarious. It's fortunate that you could get his temperature down.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home