Pneumonia
I have been coughing since October 11th.
Now my bronchitis has developed to pneumonia. I went back to the doctor this weekend for the THIRD time since my illness has started. I was told first time that I had a little throat infection. The next weekend I had bronchitis, and now (a week later) I have pneumonia. I am on my FOURTH antibiotic. Apparently none of the others worked. And, I had to get a shot in my buttocks today. (I would like to use this space to reiterate how much I hate shots! I almost passed out, and Bob was laughing at me because I could handle having a baby without any pain-killing drugs, but I can't handle a shot. But honestly, shots are worse!)
My back also hurts rather badly (as Abby Mo knows). It hurst right in the middle of my back. Supposedly, it is from the pneumonia. The doctor explained that the inflamation of my lungs is pushing some part of my body (that I don't remember the name of) against my ribs, and it is inflamed and hurts. The doctor listened to my breathing through my back, and the part of my back that hurts the worst is right where he said that my breathing sounds like rice crispies crackling and popping. So, I believe him, because it really does hurt badly there.
Meanwhile, I have been teaching all this time. I actually haven't missed any school yet because I haven't felt too terrible, and I used up all my sick days last year with my maternity leave. So, I am trying not to miss school so I can build my sick days up. However, I think I will be taking Monday off. I just feel really run down and tired, and I feel really bad for my students because I've breathed on them!
As far as hospitalization, the doctor said as long as I don't have shortness of breath or vomiting, I can recover at home. Hooray! I haven't had either of those!
Now my bronchitis has developed to pneumonia. I went back to the doctor this weekend for the THIRD time since my illness has started. I was told first time that I had a little throat infection. The next weekend I had bronchitis, and now (a week later) I have pneumonia. I am on my FOURTH antibiotic. Apparently none of the others worked. And, I had to get a shot in my buttocks today. (I would like to use this space to reiterate how much I hate shots! I almost passed out, and Bob was laughing at me because I could handle having a baby without any pain-killing drugs, but I can't handle a shot. But honestly, shots are worse!)
My back also hurts rather badly (as Abby Mo knows). It hurst right in the middle of my back. Supposedly, it is from the pneumonia. The doctor explained that the inflamation of my lungs is pushing some part of my body (that I don't remember the name of) against my ribs, and it is inflamed and hurts. The doctor listened to my breathing through my back, and the part of my back that hurts the worst is right where he said that my breathing sounds like rice crispies crackling and popping. So, I believe him, because it really does hurt badly there.
Meanwhile, I have been teaching all this time. I actually haven't missed any school yet because I haven't felt too terrible, and I used up all my sick days last year with my maternity leave. So, I am trying not to miss school so I can build my sick days up. However, I think I will be taking Monday off. I just feel really run down and tired, and I feel really bad for my students because I've breathed on them!
As far as hospitalization, the doctor said as long as I don't have shortness of breath or vomiting, I can recover at home. Hooray! I haven't had either of those!

4 Comments:
At 1:21 PM ,
Maria said...
shots are worse than childbirth??!! I think you are alone on that one! I am sorry to hear of your illness. I know what is like to keep going back to the doctor and getting antibiotics. Luckily I haven't gotten sick yet this semester. It is amazing! Maybe the chiropractor is helping, you could try one too :) Feel better soon.
At 2:07 PM ,
Abby said...
First of all, you had Trevor without any pain killers?!?! Wow, and secondly, are you saving up your sick days for another maternity leave? :)
At 4:29 PM ,
Laura said...
Yes, Trevor was born without pain medicine. The thought of a needle going into my spine for an epidural seemed much too frightening. And, it really wasn't that bad. I kept expecting it to be the worst pain ever in my whole entire life, and it never got to that point. So, it was much easier than I thought. (Didn't I tell you guys about this?)
And, yes, I need to save up those sick days. You never know when Trevor will want a brother or sister :)
At 9:19 PM ,
abby said...
Yeah! Another baby Heitkamp!!?? That would be great. You two are great parents. And I concur with Maria - obviously the antibiotics aren't doing the job, so maybe you should consider another approach...like chiropractic!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home