Laura

Friday, September 02, 2005

Getting Paid

Wow! I got my first paycheck today. I can't believe I actually get paid to do what I've been practicing in college for so many years!!! Imagine this - I paid several thousand dollars to be able to student teach. Now, I am virtually doing the same thing (okay, so I have a few more responsibilities), but I am the one GETTING paid! What a concept!

Anyway, school is great! I actually LOVE 7th and 8th graders. Before I started, I was a little concerned about kids that age (especially 8th grade), but they are so much fun! We have wonderful discussions in class, and they are capable of doing such fun, challenging, and worthwhile assignments!!! And, they are still mostly respectful. (Okay, so they do need to be reminded every now and then of what is appropriate and what is not). But, they are mostly pretty well behaved.

My seventh graders just finished writing persuasive essays, which was their first major writing assignment. I am very eager to see how they did, and I have to grade them over the weekend. But, from what I saw, they seem to have really worked hard, and I am proud of their achievement.

Yeah for teaching! I think I am going to like it.

Oh, Bob is also having a very good year so far. He is only teaching math this year (6th grade), and he really enjoys his students also.

This weekend, we are actually going to an Ohio State football game. Bob's brother bought the tickets, but he lives in Oregon and ended up not being able to come home for the game. So, he just gave us the tickets for free! Neither of us have ever been to one of these games, so I'm excited! (Maria, too bad we can't visit you while we're in Columbus).

8 Comments:

  • At 9:08 PM , Blogger Maria said...

    Hey Laura! Can you believe that I've never been to an Ohio State game either?? I don't know what my problem is, I just watch them on TV. You and Bob will just have to make it to KY too. And I'm glad you are enjoying teaching! Life is so much better when you actually like your job.

     
  • At 9:08 PM , Blogger Maria said...

    and what is up with all the random advertisement comments?

     
  • At 8:11 AM , Blogger Laura said...

    Bob and I would love to visit you in KY sometime! And, I don't know about these random advertisement comments. I'll just delete it because it annoys me!

     
  • At 9:12 AM , Blogger Suzanna said...

    I'm so glad you enjoy your kids! I'm a bit worried about my kids, who start coming on Wed!!

     
  • At 6:17 PM , Blogger Abby said...

    Do you and Bob feel rich living on two incomes now instead of one? I'm sure Derek and I will when that day comes! I can't wait!

     
  • At 10:12 AM , Blogger abby said...

    I'm so glad your job is going so well!!

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    We do feel much wealthier. It actually makes it more challenging to spend our money wisely, but we are trying.

     
  • At 2:09 AM , Blogger Rebekah said...

    i hope things continue to go well for you, have you tried calling chris?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home