Paper, paper, paper, paper, paper...........
Paper is the only thing I can think about lately. Why? You ask. Because I have 50 million papers to grade for my classes! I've decided that grading papers is the worst part of teaching.
I really hate it, which has caused me to continually put it off day after day. For example, right now I am writing this blog instead of grading my papers. It is just so annoying because I have 3 classes with students turning things in, but there are always students turning things in late. Therefore, I continually have to look back at things that I've already graded and try to determine how exactly I graded it the first time so I can be fair to the student who turned it in late too.
Then, my students have started deciding not to turn homework in half the time anyway. Today, I had over half of both my 7th grade classes not have their homework done. I DON'T UNDERSTAND! In my mind, there is really no excuse for this. Sure, it may be a mistake once or twice, but more than that is laziness and stupidity!
My only solution is that I should never assign homework again! Then, I won't have to grade it, and I won't have to give mean looks and scolding comments to those students that wouldn't do it anyway!
I really hate it, which has caused me to continually put it off day after day. For example, right now I am writing this blog instead of grading my papers. It is just so annoying because I have 3 classes with students turning things in, but there are always students turning things in late. Therefore, I continually have to look back at things that I've already graded and try to determine how exactly I graded it the first time so I can be fair to the student who turned it in late too.
Then, my students have started deciding not to turn homework in half the time anyway. Today, I had over half of both my 7th grade classes not have their homework done. I DON'T UNDERSTAND! In my mind, there is really no excuse for this. Sure, it may be a mistake once or twice, but more than that is laziness and stupidity!
My only solution is that I should never assign homework again! Then, I won't have to grade it, and I won't have to give mean looks and scolding comments to those students that wouldn't do it anyway!

7 Comments:
At 7:10 PM ,
Abby said...
That must be the teachers dilemma. Less homework equals less grading, but what does that mean for the student's learning? Hmmm...good thing I'm not a teacher! Good luck with that! P.S. Are you going to be at Abby Mos????
At 6:10 AM ,
Maria said...
good luck with all the grading and with all the punk kids who never do their homework! How much do you take off for late papers and homework?
At 6:30 AM ,
Laura said...
To Abby and Maria:
Yes, I plan to go to Abby Mo's. And I currently take off 25% for late papers, but I am changing it to 50% off after Christmas. This amount is probably still too nice for them, but I still want them to do the work so they can learn the concepts.
Additionally, I have off school today (Thursday) because of snow. So, I plan to grade all day! I'm so excited! :(
At 2:25 PM ,
Abby said...
I really wish the hospital would close because of snow!!
At 7:29 PM ,
abby said...
Abby - good luck with that!
At 7:30 PM ,
abby said...
Laura - I'm sorry you hate grading. I hope you aren't one of those teachers who has every class turn in their biggest paper on the same day. I don't know why Perry used to do that to himself.
At 5:28 AM ,
Laura said...
Yes, Abby...for some reason, I do that too! On January 6th each and every one of my 7th and 8th graders will be turning in a final project for a book they've read. I'm going to hate that day! But that is a good idea to divide it up. Maybe I'll do that next time. Thanks!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home