Laura

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Debit Cards

Do the rest of you use debit cards? If so, how do you manage to write everything in your check book? In college, when I didn't have to spend money on a weekly basis, it was much easier. However, now we buy things all the time (food & house supplies mostly).

Bob and I use our debit card for almost everything because we hardly ever carry cash with us, and it is so much easier than writing a check. However, we always end up with a pile of reciepts on our desk that are debits that need to be written in our checkbook. It is quite annoying because neither of us ever want to write them all down, and the pile continues to grow until one of us gets so sick of it that we spend several hours trying to figure everything out.

And, our bank statement is showing that we have a couple thousand dollars more than what we thought we did! We can't figure that out either, and we currently refuse to believe that we actually have that much money. Perhaps we are financial idiots. Hmm...Bob is downstairs going through all of our old bank statements trying to get our checkbook balanced with the bank right now. Does anyone have an easier system that you use to always stay on top of things?

6 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM , Blogger Maria said...

    well my system is writing down the debits right after I spent the money since it only takes a couple of seconds. :) That way receipts don't pile up. However..I am spending less money that I did in college, so I can't really compare my situation to yours! And..I have found that you can't always compare your checkbook to your bank statement because they are always seem to be a little of b/c of things that haven't gone through yet or whatever, but $2,000 is a lot of money! You should check into that.

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger Maria said...

    I meant to say "they always seem to be a little bit off" I just realized what I wrote made no sense!

     
  • At 1:55 PM , Blogger abby said...

    Laura - I had the exact same problem!!! I'm obsessed with Excel so I use that so type in every cent I spend, which I admit is a bit obsessive, but it works wonders - if you are cool with Excel and programing formulas and stuff. Otherwise - switch to credit. That way when you pay off your credit card all the little stuff gets writen down as one big thing. Slightly depressing to watch it go, but less writing! On-line banking is awesome too!!

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Blogger Abby said...

    Derek and I do exactly what you and Bob do, just spend and keep the receipts and put them in the check register, but I try to do it AT LEAST every other day, then it's only a few at a time and it's not overwhelming!

     
  • At 12:43 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    Wow! You are all so helpful. And, it is refreshing to know that we aren't the only people with this problem.

     
  • At 1:26 AM , Blogger Jo said...

    you should try the english way and leave it to the bank! and just check your receipts online with your statement to check things haven't gone through twice or wrong. England have never been into the whole check book thing like america though so i've never tried to balance my account, infact i try not to look cause its always overdrawn!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home