Teaching on Sundays too!
Apparently, I just can't get away from school and teaching. Last week at church, there was a ministry fair after mass where Bob and I walked around in the church basement and looked at booths displaying what the different ministries of the church do.
I guess we just look like teachers or something, because this lady stopped us and said, "Wow! You both look like you would be just perfect to teach one of the junior high religious education classes!" Then she proceeded with a 30 minute monologue as to why we'd be perfect and what we'd be doing.
So, we agreed, and our first class was today. We are team-teaching (teaching together). We have only 8 students, and they are all 8th grade boys. At first these boys thought they could run around screaming in our class, but we (luckily having experience with this type of behavior) soon explained otherwise. The class ended up going really well. These boys have TONS of questions about things, which is great because they want to learn about God. But, things took a longer time to get through than we expected because of the long discussions.
We actually only teach 1-2 times per month. I think it is unfortunate that they do not have these classes more often (especially considering all of the things these boys want to know about), but it still seems like a very worthwhile program!
I guess we just look like teachers or something, because this lady stopped us and said, "Wow! You both look like you would be just perfect to teach one of the junior high religious education classes!" Then she proceeded with a 30 minute monologue as to why we'd be perfect and what we'd be doing.
So, we agreed, and our first class was today. We are team-teaching (teaching together). We have only 8 students, and they are all 8th grade boys. At first these boys thought they could run around screaming in our class, but we (luckily having experience with this type of behavior) soon explained otherwise. The class ended up going really well. These boys have TONS of questions about things, which is great because they want to learn about God. But, things took a longer time to get through than we expected because of the long discussions.
We actually only teach 1-2 times per month. I think it is unfortunate that they do not have these classes more often (especially considering all of the things these boys want to know about), but it still seems like a very worthwhile program!

4 Comments:
At 7:29 PM ,
Abby said...
That is so exciting for you two. Good luck. I know Derek is finding the Jr. High/High School age challenging to teach, but when they are eager to learn it's very rewarding!
At 11:00 AM ,
Maria said...
I'm sure you & Bob will do a wonderful job. I know that eigth grade boys can be tough, it's great that you have experience!
At 7:51 AM ,
abby said...
Yeah!! I'm so happy for you both! I wish I could teach CCD, but all the churches here seem to have schools attached, so I don't think they do it the same way. I'll be praying for you and your class!
At 2:52 PM ,
Laura said...
Thank you for the prayers!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home