Can you throw a pencil at a student?
While I was student teaching during college, there was a boy in the class who never remembered to bring a pencil to class with him. My cooperating teacher used to get so upset with him. Finally, at the beginning of one class, she realized he (once again) had brought nothing to write with, and she proceeded to launch several pencils at him in a row until she could find no more at her desk. She yelled at him, "Here, now you have pencils! Keep them! Keep them all! Maybe you'll remember to bring at least ONE of them back with you tomorrow!"
Of course, the next day, the student again had no pencil.
Anyway, I am experiencing a similar situation with a 7th grader. He never brings anything to write with to class. I've let him borrow countless pencils and have given him two of these to keep. (He had said he had no pencils at home to bring to school). Today, he had nothing to write with and he noticed I was looking at him....so, he had the nerve to PRETEND as if he was writing with his hand. BUT NOTHING WAS IN HIS HAND! Rather than ask to borrow something from me or another student, he will sit in class and do nothing until I notice and tell him to get something. Then he proceeds to explain that he has nothing. I have no idea what he did with the 2 pencils I have given him.
SO...do you think I am really allowed to throw a pencil at a student like I learned to do in student teaching? Just a thought :)
Of course, the next day, the student again had no pencil.
Anyway, I am experiencing a similar situation with a 7th grader. He never brings anything to write with to class. I've let him borrow countless pencils and have given him two of these to keep. (He had said he had no pencils at home to bring to school). Today, he had nothing to write with and he noticed I was looking at him....so, he had the nerve to PRETEND as if he was writing with his hand. BUT NOTHING WAS IN HIS HAND! Rather than ask to borrow something from me or another student, he will sit in class and do nothing until I notice and tell him to get something. Then he proceeds to explain that he has nothing. I have no idea what he did with the 2 pencils I have given him.
SO...do you think I am really allowed to throw a pencil at a student like I learned to do in student teaching? Just a thought :)

4 Comments:
At 4:43 PM ,
Abby said...
I heard you can get a lot of money for pencils on the black market. I bet that's what the students are doing, trafficing pencils. You may just be supplying his habit. I guess it's better than cocaine.
HAHA, I bet he just does it to tick you off, honestly...but who knows!?!
At 4:51 PM ,
Maria said...
kids are punks, our pencils disappear like crazy, I don't know what they do with them or why they never have one. we go through hundreds it seems like. No one ever has a pencil!!! I have been tempted to throw pencils at them also, I say go for it. Just don't hit them in the head.
At 6:20 AM ,
abby said...
No, I don't think throwing pencils is a good thing. Maybe you should put a pencil on a string and duct tape it to his arm. That would definitly be more effective.
At 2:06 PM ,
Laura said...
duct tape? I hadn't thought of that! What a great idea!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home