Laura

Monday, November 14, 2005

Contemporary Mass?

Abby's blog entitled "What's your story about His glory?" had me thinking. As I've been wondering how to construct a proper reply, Bob and I visited a new church this weekend. We have come to realize that the church we actually joined when we first moved is lacking in the sermon area. Although, it does have good music.

Anyway, we found a church that has a contemporary evening mass on Sunday nights. We went there this past weekend, and it was actually quite a moving service. The choir/band actually had instruments (guitars, bongos, and such). If you've been to a Catholic mass, you'll know that this is not a normal occurance. And the priest, aside from suffering from a throat ailment that prohibits him from speaking very loudly or very long without coughing, gave a great message.

The biblical reading was the one where Jesus gave the three men talents, and two of the men worked to produce twice as many talents, but the other man hid his talent and did not increase it at all. He said that sometimes at confession, before just thinking of all the bad things you've done, you should think of what gifts God has given you. You can think of what you do well, and ask yourself if you are using those gifts to the best of your ability or if you are misusing them in any way. He mentioned that so often we can think easily of the bad things we've done, but we forget to think about the good things that we COULD HAVE DONE that we did not do.

So, I guess this gives me something to think about for the week.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:32 PM , Blogger Abby said...

    Our pastor preached a similar message about a month ago. It was a great message, but I can never figure out what my talents are. I'm hoping with my job and my position secondary to Derek at the church will show me soon.

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger abby said...

    Laura, that's a great point! I'm glad you and Bob (and your baby) found a church that seems to suit you better. Where did you end up?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home