Praxis III Complete
I had my Praxis III assessment on Tuesday. This process, if you are not familiar with it, is when an assessor from the state comes to evaluate my teaching during my first year. I had to have a pre-observation interview and a post-observation interview, and she also observed one of my classes as I was teaching. There are 19 criteria that she had to score me on, and if my score is high enough, then I passed the assessment.
It really seemed to go very well, so I am pretty confident that I passed. My interviews both lasted a long time. I think it was because I talked too much, but I didn't want to leave anything out and risk getting a lower score. Regardless, I looked back over the scoring rubric after I got home, and I tried to determine what score I should have gotten in each category. I tried really hard to think objectively, and in my mind, there is no way that I shouldn't have passed. I'll find out in 4-6 weeks though for sure.
I taught about reading and analyzing different types of propaganda in advertisements, which is one of the standards that the 7th grade students are supposed to learn this year. I introduced 5 differnt propaganda techniques and showed them samples of these techniques in advertisements from magazines. Then I had the students work in groups to create their own advertisements using one of the propaganda techniques that I assigned to them. So, the students were great, because they were having a lot of fun being creative!
My principal also has to observe me one more time before my maternity leave. This observation and evaluation will be this coming Thursday. After going through the Praxis assessment, I'm not really nervous to teach in front of my principal very much anymore.
This weekend, I am preparing my substitute plans for my maternity leave. So, when those plans are done, and after my principal observes me on Thursday, I guess I'll be pretty ready for the baby. We still need to organize a few things and finish packing for the trip to the hospital, but it is all coming together. Only 4 weeks and 5 days left!
It really seemed to go very well, so I am pretty confident that I passed. My interviews both lasted a long time. I think it was because I talked too much, but I didn't want to leave anything out and risk getting a lower score. Regardless, I looked back over the scoring rubric after I got home, and I tried to determine what score I should have gotten in each category. I tried really hard to think objectively, and in my mind, there is no way that I shouldn't have passed. I'll find out in 4-6 weeks though for sure.
I taught about reading and analyzing different types of propaganda in advertisements, which is one of the standards that the 7th grade students are supposed to learn this year. I introduced 5 differnt propaganda techniques and showed them samples of these techniques in advertisements from magazines. Then I had the students work in groups to create their own advertisements using one of the propaganda techniques that I assigned to them. So, the students were great, because they were having a lot of fun being creative!
My principal also has to observe me one more time before my maternity leave. This observation and evaluation will be this coming Thursday. After going through the Praxis assessment, I'm not really nervous to teach in front of my principal very much anymore.
This weekend, I am preparing my substitute plans for my maternity leave. So, when those plans are done, and after my principal observes me on Thursday, I guess I'll be pretty ready for the baby. We still need to organize a few things and finish packing for the trip to the hospital, but it is all coming together. Only 4 weeks and 5 days left!

6 Comments:
At 12:03 PM ,
Abby said...
I'm sure you passed everything with flying colors. I'd be shocked with anything less from you, Laura!! So, are you planning on just teaching up until the baby is born? Or do you already know when your last day will be? What's the plan?
At 12:21 PM ,
Laura said...
I'm teaching until the baby is born. Although, if the baby is not born by April 7th (my due date), then I am not returning to school after the 7th. Then I will have the rest of the year off :)
At 6:05 PM ,
abby said...
That is awesome! I'm glad that everything is working out in a well planned fashion. It's not often that life is that easy!!
At 6:07 PM ,
abby said...
I didn't mean that you have it easy. I just meant that you couldn't have planned it better if you planned it yourself (which you sort of did but sort of didn't because God did). I hope that made sense. I love you!!!
At 9:25 PM ,
Maria said...
I am sure you did wonderful on your exam as well! And I can't believe how soon your baby is coming! Time flies, huh?
At 2:48 AM ,
Rebekah said...
hmm...coconuts aren't that heavy - maybe if you managed to walk under a falling one at the perfect moment and get hit at a deadly spot you could possibly die. but most of the time people want the coconut, but have the inconvenience of climbing a tree. so most of the time the coconuts are picked before they get a chance to fall. i think bob might need a new comparison to death from airplanes.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home