Eye Surgery
Trevor has had a cataract in his left eye since birth, as you know. He has been seeing a Pediatric Opthamologist since he was 4 months old. (We'll call this opthamologist "doctor #1".) Doctor #1 has been saying all along that if Trevor has any vision out of his left eye right now, then it is best to wait to remove the cataract for as long as possible, preferably until the age of two years. This doctor said his cataract is large, and we've had to place a patch over his "good" eye for two hours each day to make sure he is still using and seeing with his left eye. This process also helps to strengthen his left (weaker) eye. At our last appointment, which was two weeks ago, this doctor #1 informed us that Trevor would probably never have good vision out of that eye. He said Trevor would probably always be legally blind in that eye, even with the help of glasses.
Of course, that was not good news!
So, on Wednesday, we went to another doctor to get a second opinion. It was a Pediatric Opthamologist again that we saw. However, this time we went to a larger hospital (and one that is ranked among some of the best children's hospitals in the nation). At this hospital, there was a team of FIVE doctors (and two people that were studying to become doctors) that were in a semi-circle around Trevor. They stood there staring intently at Trevor while the main doctor was using various lenses, lights, and other equipment to examine Trevor's eyes. (We'll call this man, "Doctor #2". Also, this hospital is located very close to a medical college, which is why the people that are studying to become doctors were there). Anyway, Doctor #2 said that it is better to have Trevor's cataract removed immediately. He said that his vision can be harmed as each day passes. In addition, he said that Trevor will need to wear glasses, but he has a fairly good chance of having almost normal vision after the surgery. This doctor said as long as his optic nerve and other "eye parts" are not damaged, he will be able to see fine in the future. This doctor even allowed Bob and I to use one of his tools to see Trevor's cataract for ourselves, which was actually kind of neat.
Therefore, Bob and I both feel it is best to trust Doctor #2 with our baby's vision rather than Doctor #1 since the second doctor is offering some hope of restored vision. Eye surgery does seem scary to me, but the worst that can happen now is that Trevor will be blind in that eye, which is what Doctor #1 said would happen no matter what we did! Thus, we are taking the chance with Doctor #2, and we are having hope that he'll have sight.
He will wear glasses very soon after the surgery, so that will be interesting. I'm guessing he'll want to take them off to either play with them or try to eat them most of the time, but I'm hoping he'll leave them on.
We scheduled the surgery for the first date available. It is February 21st. It is an outpatient surgery, but he goes back the very next morning to be checked. So, we'll be spending the night in a nearby hotel. Please say a lot of prayers as the day draws near. I'll be saying prayers all throughout the night, since I don't think I'll be able to sleep until March.
Of course, that was not good news!
So, on Wednesday, we went to another doctor to get a second opinion. It was a Pediatric Opthamologist again that we saw. However, this time we went to a larger hospital (and one that is ranked among some of the best children's hospitals in the nation). At this hospital, there was a team of FIVE doctors (and two people that were studying to become doctors) that were in a semi-circle around Trevor. They stood there staring intently at Trevor while the main doctor was using various lenses, lights, and other equipment to examine Trevor's eyes. (We'll call this man, "Doctor #2". Also, this hospital is located very close to a medical college, which is why the people that are studying to become doctors were there). Anyway, Doctor #2 said that it is better to have Trevor's cataract removed immediately. He said that his vision can be harmed as each day passes. In addition, he said that Trevor will need to wear glasses, but he has a fairly good chance of having almost normal vision after the surgery. This doctor said as long as his optic nerve and other "eye parts" are not damaged, he will be able to see fine in the future. This doctor even allowed Bob and I to use one of his tools to see Trevor's cataract for ourselves, which was actually kind of neat.
Therefore, Bob and I both feel it is best to trust Doctor #2 with our baby's vision rather than Doctor #1 since the second doctor is offering some hope of restored vision. Eye surgery does seem scary to me, but the worst that can happen now is that Trevor will be blind in that eye, which is what Doctor #1 said would happen no matter what we did! Thus, we are taking the chance with Doctor #2, and we are having hope that he'll have sight.
He will wear glasses very soon after the surgery, so that will be interesting. I'm guessing he'll want to take them off to either play with them or try to eat them most of the time, but I'm hoping he'll leave them on.
We scheduled the surgery for the first date available. It is February 21st. It is an outpatient surgery, but he goes back the very next morning to be checked. So, we'll be spending the night in a nearby hotel. Please say a lot of prayers as the day draws near. I'll be saying prayers all throughout the night, since I don't think I'll be able to sleep until March.

3 Comments:
At 5:18 PM ,
Laura said...
By the way, my grandma's test for cancer came back negative! Praise God!
At 6:34 AM ,
abby said...
Hallelujah!
I hope Trevor's surgery goes well! He'll be cute with glasses.
At 9:23 AM ,
Maria said...
I am glad to hear about your grandma. I hope everything goes well with Trevor's surgery. Good luck with him keeping his glasses on :) But I agree with Abby, he'll look cute!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home