Laura

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bifocal, Contractions, Brother, School

Bifocal: Trevor went back to see his ophthalmologist yesterday. His eye still shows no sign of scar tissue from the cataract surgery in February. So, that is good. His lens in his glasses is being changed to a bifocal lens now. The doctor said that will allow him to look through the upper part of the lens to see things far away and look through the lower part of the lens to see things close up. (Okay, so I just defined a bifocal lens). Regardless, I think this change will be good for Trevor, because he has been looking over the top of his glasses a lot lately. So, the doctor said his prescription is probably too strong for him to see things at a distance. His lens has been ordered, and he'll get his bifocal lens in about 10 days.

By the way, I guess I am getting bigger. When I checked in at the ophthalmologist, the lady at the desk said, "Oh, you look like you're due to have your baby any time now." I replied, "No, not until November." ...a little awkward...



Contractions: Well, we enjoyed our week long trip to Texas. We drove with Bob's parents, two brothers and one sister. Bob, Trevor and I all went along. Trevor did a great job on the trip, so I think he had fun too. We stayed in Branson, MO for a few days. We spent time going swimming, putt-putt golfing, touring a cave and eating. Everyone else also went to shows in the evenings, but Bob and I stayed at the hotel so Trevor could sleep.

Then we drove on to Texas to visit Bob's newly married sister. While there, we went to a comedy club, saw aligators and did some shopping. Unfortunately, Bob and I also got to spend about 4 hours at one of the nation's best ranked hospitals! We went to the hospital at about midnight one evening because I started having contractions. I called my doctor from home, and he said, "Where are you?" I replied, "Texas." He said, "And is there a hospital in Texas?" I said, "Yes, I'm sure there is." He said, "Then that is where you should be right now."

They decided at the hospital in Texas that I was probably somewhat dehydrated, which can cause preterm labor. They did an ultrasound and stress test on the baby. Four hours later, we left with instructions to drink a lot of water constantly, not to lift anything, avoid walking and no driving. So, I did nothing the rest of our vacation.

On the drive back home from Texas, I began having contractions again. We were only about 1.5 hours from home, so I called my doctor after we got home. He sent me to the hospital again and he met me there. This time, they gave me medicine to stop my contractions and monitored the baby for stress again. The baby was fine, and my contractions stopped. My doctor gave me a prescription for medicine to stop contractions if I have them again. So far, I have not had any trouble. He said I can return to normal activities. So, I think the drive and vacation must have been just too much for my little baby. Poor kid!

Abby Mo - We did drive through St. Louis on the way, but it was at 3 A.M. So, we did not stop. However, I saw the arch all lit up.

Brother: Please keep my brother and his children in your prayers. I don't want to go into a lot of detail on here, but his wife has left him and wants to get a divorce. He has asked her to go to marital counseling with him 3 different times now, but she doesn't want to try to work it out. She has just said that she is unhappy and doesn't want to be a stay-at-home-mom anymore. He said, "That's fine, you can have a career. I support you in that." However, she said she doesn't really want a job either. Basically, she just wants to go out with friends and party.

School: Bob's first day of school is today! I start in about a week! I am excited about beginning school again. It is just going to be harder to leave Trevor this year, because we have really had a great summer together. Also, my school is going to be hot. Pregnant and hot do not mesh well.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM , Blogger abby said...

    Oh my!! Contractions already! Take care of the little one and put up a picture of your big self. I still don't beleive it. I'm glad you got to see you arch, even though you didn't get to see me.

     
  • At 2:42 PM , Blogger Abby said...

    Wow, Laura, so much going on! Ditto to what Abby said, take care of yourself!! And keep us updated.

     
  • At 7:31 PM , Blogger Maria said...

    wow there is a lot going on! Getting contractions that early must have been scary. I am sorry to hear about your brother. And how cute, Trevor has bifocals! Good luck with the new school year!

     
  • At 10:58 PM , Blogger Rebekah said...

    Another vote for pictures of Laura and Trevor!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home